|The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified Accountant for a 4 month temporary assignment, to support the administration of financial reporting from IFPRI field offices in Africa in accordance with IFPRI policies and procedures. The successful candidates will be a member of the Africa Finance and Accounting hub based in the IFPRI West and Central Africa Regional Office (WCAO) in Dakar, Senegal and will report to the Manager of Administration and Corporate Services.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Tasks and responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Audit field offices financial reports for compliance with IFPRI financial policies & procedures.
- Monitor monthly checklist to ensure that key tasks are done timely and completely.
- Check and review financial registers submitted by field offices in Africa locations.
- Compare expense claims to supporting documentation.
- Prepare the monthly bank reconciliations.
- Reconcile monthly financial reporting to HQ financial system.
- Ensure timely and accurate input of field office financial data into financial system.
- Monitor financial risks and recommend appropriate mitigation measures.
- Oversee liquid and fixed asset management.
- Confirm reasonableness of funding requests submitted to HQ for processing.
- Ensure that annual property inventory reporting is in each location.
- Provide support to colleagues in field offices in Africa.
- Assist field offices with questions and issues.
- Assist in supporting locations using QuickBooks in Africa.
- Coordinate with other members of the Finance team to ensure seamless support to, and monitoring of the field offices in Africa.
- Propose and implement measures to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of financial operations of field offices in Africa locations.
- Act as liaison between HQ and the field office.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate should have:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and 4 years in a General Accounting capacity.
- Proficiency with financial systems.
- Proficiency in English —TOEIC score exceeding 800.
- At least two (2) years of professional experience using QuickBooks or comparable software.
- Extensive experience and proficiency with MS Excel.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Demonstrated analytical skills.
- A solid understanding of accounting principles.
- Demonstrated ability to be proactive and resourceful in a team environment.